WOOT! Got a ticket for the last day of San Diego Comic Con 2016! No better Opportunity to test out my guitar. As just about everyone knows if you are going to dress in cos-play for San Diego it's go big or go home. So time to go all out!
Having done all my measurements it was time to cut shape and paint. I chose MFD as my medium. There were a few reasons why I did this. It was easy to carve and shape with wood tools I already had at my disposal. MDF is also not very expensive and very durable. The finished product would have to fly in my oversize suitcase and they are never handled with care. Foam, even construction foam, does not like getting wet so painting can be difficult without something to prime it first. (Gallons of wood glue can be pricey.) The main reason why I chose MDF was to get a feel for the power tools I would eventually have to use to make a real working guitar. As heavy as the MDF guitar was, I'm glad I went with a wood like material.
Once I had the body cut and carved, I started hallowing it out as much as I could to loose some weight. I measured the electronic components and cut pockets for those. The wires from the original toys were too short but managed to get some low voltage wires from a train set to work. The hardest part was getting the trigger in place. I decided to make the whammy bar the trigger. A real bar was not going to work and managed to get a replacement part for a Guitar Hero control which worked perfectly. I glued a metal bar in the middle of the spring and soldered it to the components. I I then covered the rod with a heat shrinking rubber to keep the spring from setting off the lights and sound unintentionally. Under the rod I used a screw to secure the other end of the trigger. The results were really cool especially since I have never done anything like this before.
Everything else after that was cosmetic. I painted birch plywood to cover the hallowing work I did to make the guitar lighter. The guitar components made from pine plywood which I then shaped and painted to be as close in appearance to real components as I could get. On the head board of each neck I ended up using real tuners. To go with the guitar I made a corset and cropped long sleeved jacket from vinyl. I managed to find some boots and finger-less driving gloves online for an inexpensive price. Last a pair of welding goggles with I painted and bought mirrored lenses for. I tried to get pink hair color in my hair but it didn't show through my red hair. The final results I really like. Not 100% but I'm satisfied especially since this is all new territory for me.
With Comic-Con over I'm planning to refurbish this prop. Make it even lighter and put in the details I wanted to put in the first time around. I'm hoping to have it ready sometime beginning next year. Just in time for the release of the new seasons of FLCL. I have learned that the new seasons are to take place sometime after end end of the previous episodes. So this will be a great addition to anyone wanting to Cosplay FLCL next year.